Unwanted Pregnancy? Call 718-829-7000
On the second day of your Second Trimester Abortion, you will be given anesthesia, which will put you to sleep for up to 15 minutes. Once asleep, the pregnancy tissue will be removed. The surgeon will apply gentle suction to the lining of the uterus, thus 'evacuating' the pregnancy. Finally, the surgeon will massage your uterus to control bleeding and help the uterus contract to its normal size.
You will receive prescription medications to take at home: antibiotics to prevent infection; also, medication to help your uterus return to its pre-pregnant size.
We urge you to return to the office after 2-3 weeks for a free follow up. A female counselor will discuss birth control with you at that time and answer any other questions you may have about your female reproductive health.
We will provide you with clear, written post-operative instructions prior to your procedure, that way you will be able to discuss them with your physician as needed.
Important tips to remember after the procedure:
• To prevent any infection, we will provide you with antibiotics. It is essential that you take all the medications prescribed by your physician in the manner explained.
• All Rh-Negative type patients are given an injection of Rhogam followedthe procedure.
• You must have an escort to take you home following the procedure done with anesthesia other than local anesthesia. For your own safety, you must not drive for the remainder of the day.
You may resume your normal activities and normal diet after the procedure. It is recommended that you rest during the day of your procedure. You may eat whatever you like but it is suggested that you begin with soups, toast or other easily digestible foods. Do not drink alcoholic beverages including beer and wine, until you have completed the antibiotics prescribed by your physician.
To protect against infection, it is important that nothing goes into your vagina until you have your two-week appointment (Follow-Up). This means:
• NO Tampax or tampons, use only sanitary pads.
• NO vaginal douching.
• DON’T take tub baths or swim, ONLY Shower.
• NO vaginal intercourse.
• You will be required to return to our office within two-week period time after your first visit. During your follow up visit a sonogram will be performed to evaluate the completion and safety of the procedure.
Contraceptives options will be also discussed in your follow up visit.
If you were referred to our office by your Ob/Gyn physician, we encourage you to return to your physician for your post-operative care. However, complete post-operative care and on-going gynecological services are available at our office for all patients.
Our 24 hour HOTLINE number is given to patients after their procedure for questions, problems, and emergencies.
NOTE: It is possible to become pregnant before your next period, so after your follow up, be sure to use a reliable method of birth control.